Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Why Blog?


I'm not really sure why I decided I wanted to start a blog.  I've always enjoyed other people's blogs, and I think the concept is pretty cool. A lot of my friends blog, and are actually really good at it.  I like telling my stories and opinions as much as the next guy; and I enjoy reading others stories and opinions as well.   I love sharing what I learn from other bloggers, especially in the area of theology.  I find myself drawn to many theological blogs, and then sharing them with my family, friends, or small group.  I believe there is a lot to learn from certain blogs, and I appreciate the people that use their blogs to encourage, educate, or make us laugh.

My blog will consist of opinions, lessons learned, thoughts from Scripture/books/sermons, general conversation, rants, and pontifications.  It will also consist of stories about family, friends, my neighborhood, my city, my country, and this world.  I don't expect many, outside of my mom, to read it, but I am excited to see if it's something I like.

I feel like we live in a world where we're all looking for a way to express ourselves and opinions; i.e. note the success of twitter and facebook.  I happen to be one of those people who enjoy being able to express my thoughts, photos, etc to anyone who will listen (or not listen), and to the world of social media (for those of you who know me, I realize this is a very "Captain Obvious" statement).

Plenty of people have told me "everyone is too busy with their own life to care about what's going on in yours", and I agree with that statement to a degree.  Yet every person I know, except my Dad, is on social media.  So I believe within us there is a desire to know what is going on in each others lives. Not only do we like to know what's going on in the world around us, we LOVE to share what's going in ours.

So, when it comes to social media and my love/hate relationship with it, what better way to describe it than with the famous line used by Dan Cathy of Chick fil a last week, "Guilty as charged".  I enjoy social media, yet get frustrated with it all the same. A personal blog is just another avenue for me to express my opinions, thoughts, etc.  I look forward to beginning this process, and if it gets traffic, great, and if not, oh well.

thanks for reading!

peace,
bg

8 comments:

  1. Well I have to admit I'm interested to see what you have to say! Glad you're blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude. Captain Obvious is a great name for a blog! Looking forward to what you have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where do we post objections, grievances, etc.?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So far so good! Looking forward to reading your rants--I've missed hearing them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me have some good stories from you... have something for the bosses to read.

    ReplyDelete