Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Date your wife


I just finished a great book by Justin Buzzard called, "Date your Wife". This is not a book review by any means (I wouldn't have a clue how to do that anyways), so don't check out just yet!    

What I do have a slight clue about though is learning from past mistakes (because I've made millions).

When Kim and I got married, life was fantastic.  It was like we were still dating, but way better!  I got to go home with this woman every night, nobody to worry about but ourselves, go do whatever we wanted whenever we wanted, sleep as late as we preferred, etc.  It was pretty awesome. 

But then we had kids.  Don't get me wrong I adore my kids.  Outside of my relationship with Christ, my wife and kids are my greatest treasure.  I would die for these 3 people.  

Kids though...well...they change the game a little bit.  
They're demanding.  
They take all your time.  
They zap all your energy.  

I'm ok with that for the most part, except letting all my time disappear and all my energy get zapped brought on other issues.  Big issues.

I didn't guard my heart against neglect of my marriage.  And that responsibility falls on me.  And men, it falls on you.  

Men, we are commanded to be leaders in our marriage.  We are called to love our wife as Christ loved the Church (Ephesians 5).  Let that sink in.  I'm to love my wife like Christ loved the Church? He gave Himself up for His church.  I'm commanded to love my wife like that?

Yes.  I am.

You know who was really bad at following the command to love their wife like that, though? 

>This guy<

I Failed.  Miserably.  

But praise God for the Gospel.  It covers my failures.  It says there is forgiveness, restoration, and redemption at the cross. And God in His infinite mercy and Grace, has blessed my marriage to be even better now (with 2 kids, I might add) than it was in the beginning when I had thought it was at its PEAK! Why? He forgave me. He allowed me to learn from my mistakes.  

And so did Kim.

I learned to love my wife better.  I learned how to better prioritize Kim and her needs. I learned I needed time alone with Kim, (probably more than she needed it with me). And, I'm still learning.  And, I've got a long way to go to be the husband I'm called to be, but I can say I've gotten better.

How did I learn to be a better husband?  I got in the Word. There is NO substitution for this. I got counseling. I watched other men in Godly marriages. I read quality books. "Date your wife" is one of those kinds of books.  It's gospel-centered, and has great practical tips and ideas that are easy to implement.  

So men, get in the Word, and see how we're called to love our wives. Let's spend time with our wife. Get a babysitter and go out.  Go on a trip, just you and your bride. Spoil your wife sometimes.  Let's not just tell her we love her, show her!  

What are some ways you "Date your wife"?

thanks for reading...

peace.
bg

Twitter: @gossettbrandon

4 comments:

  1. First time reading. Quite impressive. I'm going to read the book. Then I'm going to date my wife "better". Thanks for the encouragement!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading, brother. Let me know what you think of that book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So proud of you Brandon! Love you and Kim and the fact that you want to better your marriage - pure awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoying the blog Brandon! And very impressive on your "dating"! :)

    ReplyDelete